2019 The Year of Cyber Crime
September 22nd, 2019
The major cyber crimes from ransomware attacks, Supply chain hacks and evolving tensions with Iran.
Since the beginning of 2019, there were news about data breaches, supply chain manipulations, state-breached hacking campaigns and harbingers of cyber war.
It seems like the worst is yet to come on 2019.
We all are quite familiar with the Ransomware attack, its growing explosion causing a major threat in the countries. If, we look into the insights of the cyber security Threats held in 2019, we would be stunned.
In the month of may a surveillance contractor for US customs and border Protection suffered a Breach, the Hacker stole photos of Travelers and license Plates of about 100,000 people. The Tennessee based contractor who has been a CBP affiliate also known as Perceptics lost detailed information about surveillance Hardware.
RANSOMWARE ATTACKS- WHY, WHAT AND WHEN?
Now the Question lies about what is Ransomware? Everyone must be quite familiar with the word by now. Ransomware is a type of malicious software designed to block access to a computer system until a sum of money is paid. While some simple Ransomware may lock the system in a way which is not difficult for a knowledgeable person to reverse, more advanced malware uses a technique called cryovial extortion, in which it encrypts the victims file, making them in accessible, and demands a ransom Payment to decry-pt them.
Ransomware attacks are typically carried out by using Trojan, that is a disguised as a legitimate file that the user is tricked into downloading or opening when it arrives as an email attachment.
2019, has been a Big year for the Ransomware attacks. The black sheep’s have targeted Health centres, Business firms and Government and Financial sectors, where malware is used to encrypt a systems data and then demand a ransom to decrypt it. We are seeing a growth of Ransomware attacks in 2019.
Ransomware attacks are not only targeting Business and health sectors but also manufactures and Industrial sectors have been affected.
HALF OF ALL ATTACKS AIMS AT SUPPLY CHAIN
Now, what is supply chain attacks right?
If narrated briefly, A supply chain attack is a cyber- attack that seeks to damage an Organization by targeting less- secure elements in the supply network.
The examples of a supply chain Industries are financial sectors, Oil Industries and Government sectors. There has been a strict rule Implementation by supply chain Management to impose strict rules in the supply network in order to prevent potential damage from cyber criminals.
Supply chain attack is also called a value-chain or third-party attack, when someone infiltrates your system through an outside Partners. Since 2019, has been the year for supply chain attacks. Growing trends include supply -chain attacks, where hackers break into a company’s software that in turn is distributed to clients, and ransomware, which can take your computer virtually hostage until you pay a ransom.
2019 has seen unprecedented attacks, including on systems that were previously seen as Impenetrable, like Apple IOS.
AMERICAN MEDICAL COLLECTION AGENCY BREACH
American Medical collection Agency breach is a third Party -bill collection agency. US medical bill and debt collector American Medical Collection Agency (AMCA) has filed for bankruptcy protection in the aftermath of a disastrous data breach. One of the most alarming cyber crime was AMERICAN MEDICAL COLLECTION DATA BREACH.
The company has been breached in the month of March and it had filed a case in the U.S Securities. The data of 7.7 million of customer data were exposed because of AMCA.
The information’s included first and last names, data of Birth, Phone numbers, addresses, Care Providers and data on Balances due.
The stolen information did not include id’s like ID number & Social security numbers. A lot of other companies were affected as well as AMCA has collaboration with many companies.
FIRST AMERICAN DATA EXPOSURE
Not all data securities are Breaches, sometimes data are improperly stored and Publicly accessible. The first American Incident highlights how deadly the data exposures can be. The incident exposed 885 million sensitive customer financial records going back to 2003. They were accessible to anyone on First American’s website. It isn’t known whether anyone actually found and stole the information before the company locked it down, but it was extremely easy to grab. Social Security numbers, driver’s license images, bank account numbers and statements, mortgage and tax documents, and wire transaction receipts from millions of Americans were all included in the trove.
THE CONTROVERSY OF IRAN AND US
When Trump withdrew from United States from 2015 Iranian nuclear agreement, this resulted in the tensions between 2 countries, especially in the cyber space. Iranian hackers have attacked the campaigns around the world, mostly targeting the US.
Two fuel tankers were attacked in the Gulf of Oman. The US blamed Iran and also accused Iranians of attempting to shoot down a US drone. One week later, Iran succeeded in shooting down an unmanned surveillance drone, which it claimed had entered Iranian airspace.
US were bound to launch a damaging cyber-attack against Iran’s rocket and Missile launch system controls. Iran has been repeatedly repelling back at the US.
Now, here the question is Cyber crime’s can be as a measure for kinetic conflicts or can be used to solve real world Problems?
- Digitalization without Cyber Security
- The story of university data attacks
- What is Soar?
- When Protection Fails, Forensics can still win the game
- Drones are capable to capture your communications!
- 2019 The Year of Cyber Crime
- Email Security Gateways
- Introduction to SIEM
- Insider Threat
- A beginner’s guide to Blockchain
- NoSQL – High-performance, non relational database ...
- Leveraging Cloud for Disaster Recovery
- Application Performance Monitoring
- Cognitive Security AI Driven Cyber Security
- Introduction to Container Services
- Insider Threat Detection
- Build Secure and Governed Microservices with Kafka Streams
- Add and Manage photos in Outlook messages and contacts ...
- Security on a Budget
- About CodeTwo Email Signatures for Office 365
- Googles presence in China
- Check Point Software acquires Dome9 to beef up multi-cl ...
- Exploring the benefits and challenges of hyper converge ...
- Next Generation cloud backup and data protection for Of ...
- Backup for Office 365 with Code Two
- Email Security
- Cisco Issues Security Patch
- British Airways Hacked
- AutoML Vision
- Day 2 Keynote: Bringing the Cloud to You
- CI/CD in a Serverless World
- Keynote Google
- Google Cloud Next 2018 in Under 12 Minutes
- UAE Crowned as the most Digital Friendly Country
- Ransomware continues to prey on the UAE
- Chrome for all
- Machine Learning for a Future-Facing ZTS Revolution
- The Dawn of the Cloud
- Will Cryptocurrency Replace Conventional Currency
- Internet of Thing Under Attack
- Cloud Native Computing Transforming IT Infrastructure
- Cyber Security with Artificial Intelligence
- Understanding Cybersecurity at the Corporate level
- Cryptojacking on the rise
- Google discontinues Google Search Appliance (GSA)
- Secure cloud entry points with Google Chrome Enterprise
- Cloud Infrastructure to drive UAE Cloud Computing Market
- AI to contribute $320 billion USD to Middle East GDP by 2030
- Well begun for well being
- A Spin around the Space
- Oracle opens first innovation hub with a focus on AI
- AI to bring a world of opportunities to Dubai
- The BitCoin Revolution
- Annihilating to a Green Thought
- The Intelligent Move
- Looking Right at the Face of Facebook and Google