May 16th, 2019
Cyber security threats that originate from within your own company are classified as Insider threats. These aren’t easily detectable as anyone with an authentic access to your network, can pose as a threat. They might be from the people whom we trust. It might be an existing employee or an ex-employee, a vendor, direct and indirect stakeholders with valid access.
These malicious insider threat can be again subdivided into three categories
- Turncloak or malicious insider
- Pawn or careless insider
- Imposter or compromised insider
Indicators of Insider Attacks
How to identify breaches in the system?
The in house security team needs to understand the usual behavior to understand the anomalies and deviations. Use of machine learning can also be beneficial. Components like listing table access rights per app, specifying service account credentials and schema used and monitoring the usual data storage locations can be linked to alert mechanisms. Whatever said and done isn’t prevention better than cure?
One way by which you could anticipate such threats is by analyzing data history of all your users that would indicate the user behavior analytics and let you focus on the ones that need quick attention. Use of security risk management solutions for threat intelligence, anomaly detection and predictive alerts are also getting wide attention.
Secondly using key indicator monitoring on the user profiles integrated with active directory policies will also reduce the risk of abuse that comes along with access rights. Threat scoring can also be linked to user activity to get notified in the case of an attack.
Finally, along with the exit interview, employees also can be subject to auditing to ensure that any sort of company data isn’t taken along. Statistics reveal this type of data loss is becoming very common. To address this pain point, use of Privilege Access Management (PAM) solutions can help. One Identity, Systancia, CyberArk, Arcon & Thycotic are few of the PAM solutions that Mindfire offers. The sooner organizations realize the importance of implementing solutions for securing their data and organization from cyber threats and start seeing them as a part of long-term investments, the better it shall be for them as the threats are evolving constantly into more and more malicious versions.
- Digitalization without Cyber Security
- The story of university data attacks
- What is Soar?
- When Protection Fails, Forensics can still win the game
- Drones are capable to capture your communications!
- 2019 The Year of Cyber Crime
- Email Security Gateways
- Introduction to SIEM
- Insider Threat
- A beginner’s guide to Blockchain
- NoSQL – High-performance, non relational database ...
- Leveraging Cloud for Disaster Recovery
- Application Performance Monitoring
- Cognitive Security AI Driven Cyber Security
- Introduction to Container Services
- Insider Threat Detection
- Build Secure and Governed Microservices with Kafka Streams
- Add and Manage photos in Outlook messages and contacts ...
- Security on a Budget
- About CodeTwo Email Signatures for Office 365
- Googles presence in China
- Check Point Software acquires Dome9 to beef up multi-cl ...
- Exploring the benefits and challenges of hyper converge ...
- Next Generation cloud backup and data protection for Of ...
- Backup for Office 365 with Code Two
- Email Security
- Cisco Issues Security Patch
- British Airways Hacked
- AutoML Vision
- Day 2 Keynote: Bringing the Cloud to You
- CI/CD in a Serverless World
- Keynote Google
- Google Cloud Next 2018 in Under 12 Minutes
- UAE Crowned as the most Digital Friendly Country
- Ransomware continues to prey on the UAE
- Chrome for all
- Machine Learning for a Future-Facing ZTS Revolution
- The Dawn of the Cloud
- Will Cryptocurrency Replace Conventional Currency
- Internet of Thing Under Attack
- Cloud Native Computing Transforming IT Infrastructure
- Cyber Security with Artificial Intelligence
- Understanding Cybersecurity at the Corporate level
- Cryptojacking on the rise
- Google discontinues Google Search Appliance (GSA)
- Secure cloud entry points with Google Chrome Enterprise
- Cloud Infrastructure to drive UAE Cloud Computing Market
- AI to contribute $320 billion USD to Middle East GDP by 2030
- Well begun for well being
- A Spin around the Space
- Oracle opens first innovation hub with a focus on AI
- AI to bring a world of opportunities to Dubai
- The BitCoin Revolution
- Annihilating to a Green Thought
- The Intelligent Move
- Looking Right at the Face of Facebook and Google