Internet of Thing Under Attack
April 30th, 2018
2017 was an eventful year in the world of Internet Thing Under Attack, unfortunately not for good reasons. It marked the first time a large scale cyber security attack was carried out in the form of the Mirai Malware, which recruited IoT devices into a network botnet that was used to create large-scale, disruptive denial-of- service attacks all over the world. During Def Con Hacking Conference, a group of researchers successfully demonstrated it was possible to lock an IoT enabled thermometer with a targeted ransomware attack.
First, let’s understand the difference between traditional ransomware attacks typically found on PCs and servers, and the type of ransomware attacks starting to emerge on IoT devices. The former infects the target computer or device and then encrypts key data before asking the victim to pay a ransom in exchange for unlocking it again. IoT ransomwares are different, here the attackers focus on using ransomware to lock users out of their devices completely. This can turn catastrophic in certain scenarios such as getting locked out of thermostats controlling air conditioning system in a data center. Unfortunately, the frightening truth is that majority of the IoT devices in use today are susceptible to such attacks.
When considering the deployment of any Internet Thing Under Attack devices both now and in the future, device security has to be heavily scrutinized in the following three areas:
Hardware: Physical security should always be a key consideration when evaluating any new device. To keep devices secure tamper-proofing measures can be integrated and inclusion of physical switches can also allow the user to turn off certain features if required.
Software: Strict software security policy should be ensured. This should include the ability to update or patch the device remotely when needed.
Network: Data exchange should be governed over secure protocols such as HTTPS. Strong authentication methods should also be used.
IoT maybe still in its infancy but the users, vendors and manufacturers of IoT need to start taking security much more seriously. Starting with basic security procedures will go a long way in defending against new wave of ransomware attacks seen in 2017.
- Email Security Gateways
- Introduction to SIEM
- Insider Threat
- A beginner’s guide to Blockchain
- NoSQL – High-performance, non relational database ...
- Leveraging Cloud for Disaster Recovery
- Application Performance Monitoring
- Cognitive Security AI Driven Cyber Security
- Introduction to Container Services
- Insider Threat Detection
- Build Secure and Governed Microservices with Kafka Streams
- Add and Manage photos in Outlook messages and contacts ...
- Security on a Budget
- About CodeTwo Email Signatures for Office 365
- Googles presence in China
- Check Point Software acquires Dome9 to beef up multi-cl ...
- Exploring the benefits and challenges of hyper converge ...
- Next Generation cloud backup and data protection for Of ...
- Backup for Office 365 with Code Two
- Email Security
- Cisco Issues Security Patch
- British Airways Hacked
- AutoML Vision
- Day 2 Keynote: Bringing the Cloud to You
- CI/CD in a Serverless World
- Keynote Google
- Google Cloud Next 2018 in Under 12 Minutes
- UAE Crowned as the most Digital Friendly Country
- Ransomware continues to prey on the UAE
- Chrome for all
- Machine Learning for a Future-Facing ZTS Revolution
- The Dawn of the Cloud
- Will Cryptocurrency Replace Conventional Currency
- Internet of Thing Under Attack
- Cloud Native Computing Transforming IT Infrastructure
- Cyber Security with Artificial Intelligence
- Understanding Cybersecurity at the Corporate level
- Cryptojacking on the rise
- Google discontinues Google Search Appliance (GSA)
- Secure cloud entry points with Google Chrome Enterprise
- Cloud Infrastructure to drive UAE Cloud Computing Market
- AI to contribute $320 billion USD to Middle East GDP by 2030
- Well begun for well being
- A Spin around the Space
- Oracle opens first innovation hub with a focus on AI
- AI to bring a world of opportunities to Dubai
- The BitCoin Revolution
- Annihilating to a Green Thought
- The Intelligent Move
- Looking Right at the Face of Facebook and Google