Cryptojacking on the rise
April 1st, 2018
There is a new kind of malware threat out there. It doesn’t encrypt your files, delete your data, steal your information or even deface your website but it steals your computing power and electricity to make money for your attacker. This is called Cryptojacking.
First let’s understand what Cryptocurrency and Cryptocurrency mining is. In simple terms, crypto currency is a digital currency designed to work as a medium of exchange that use cryptography as its underpinning to secure transactions, to control the creation of additional units and to verify the transfer of assets. The new units of currency are generated by “mining”. This process is computationally intensive which requires lots processing power. In the end, the computer is rewarded to solve complex math problems.
Cryptocurrency miners are setting up legitimate mining farms at locations with cheap electricity and empty space. However, with cryptocurrency market exploding from $18 billion to $600 billion during 2017, there is rise in crypto-miner malwares. Unauthorized cryptocurrency mining can take up the processing capacity of your critical computing resources. Such malwares can leave your environment vulnerable to potentially lethal malwares such as trojans or ransomwares. There is a need to increase awareness amongst organizations, the security threats of crypto mining malwares.
Cryptojacking applications are malicious payloads that can be delivered through various means. Secureworks reported on attackers who exploited unpatched vulnerabilities in Oracle WebLogic servers to embed miners on both Windows and Linux servers. Vulnerabilities in Web servers have also been exploited, as researcher Troy Mursch demonstrated when he found more than 50,000 websites (including many based on WordPress) to be infected. On the bright side, cryptocurrency miners often use existing kits to carry their payload, therefore existing defense mechanisms can work to keep them from infecting your environment.
- Digitalization without Cyber Security
- The story of university data attacks
- What is Soar?
- When Protection Fails, Forensics can still win the game
- Drones are capable to capture your communications!
- 2019 The Year of Cyber Crime
- Email Security Gateways
- Introduction to SIEM
- Insider Threat
- A beginner’s guide to Blockchain
- NoSQL – High-performance, non relational database ...
- Leveraging Cloud for Disaster Recovery
- Application Performance Monitoring
- Cognitive Security AI Driven Cyber Security
- Introduction to Container Services
- Insider Threat Detection
- Build Secure and Governed Microservices with Kafka Streams
- Add and Manage photos in Outlook messages and contacts ...
- Security on a Budget
- About CodeTwo Email Signatures for Office 365
- Googles presence in China
- Check Point Software acquires Dome9 to beef up multi-cl ...
- Exploring the benefits and challenges of hyper converge ...
- Next Generation cloud backup and data protection for Of ...
- Backup for Office 365 with Code Two
- Email Security
- Cisco Issues Security Patch
- British Airways Hacked
- AutoML Vision
- Day 2 Keynote: Bringing the Cloud to You
- CI/CD in a Serverless World
- Keynote Google
- Google Cloud Next 2018 in Under 12 Minutes
- UAE Crowned as the most Digital Friendly Country
- Ransomware continues to prey on the UAE
- Chrome for all
- Machine Learning for a Future-Facing ZTS Revolution
- The Dawn of the Cloud
- Will Cryptocurrency Replace Conventional Currency
- Internet of Thing Under Attack
- Cloud Native Computing Transforming IT Infrastructure
- Cyber Security with Artificial Intelligence
- Understanding Cybersecurity at the Corporate level
- Cryptojacking on the rise
- Google discontinues Google Search Appliance (GSA)
- Secure cloud entry points with Google Chrome Enterprise
- Cloud Infrastructure to drive UAE Cloud Computing Market
- AI to contribute $320 billion USD to Middle East GDP by 2030
- Well begun for well being
- A Spin around the Space
- Oracle opens first innovation hub with a focus on AI
- AI to bring a world of opportunities to Dubai
- The BitCoin Revolution
- Annihilating to a Green Thought
- The Intelligent Move
- Looking Right at the Face of Facebook and Google